As 2015 comes to an end, I look back on what a tumultuous year it has been. There was a lot of upheaval in my life. Would I have done anything different? Not really. Would I have handled things differently? Maybe, but in the end the outcomes would have been the same. I have learned a lot of lessons this year, but I have no regrets.
Lesson learned....Speaking the truth is hard, but sometimes the thing that needs to be said the most is hardest to deliver. I have an uncanny knack for saying what most people are thinking. Sometimes it gets me in trouble But at the end of the day, it is what most people wish they had said or could say. Does it make me a bad person...no... Does it make me unpopular with the people who need to hear the truth.. usually. I am fairly honest about my short comings and those of my children. I am pretty sure I know what people say about me when they talk about me. At this point I am comfortable enough in my own skin not to change who I am for others. Either you like me for me.... or you don't.
Lesson learned... You can't protect your children from stupid selfish people. I encountered a copious amount of stupidity and selfish behavior this year. People who were suppose to be adults treating my children and others poorly to feed their own personal agenda. Some of this behavior was horrifying. Instead of adopting a woe is me attitude, I used it as teachable moments for my kids. They learned that it is not just other children who can behave badly. Sometimes the behavior of adults is worse because honestly, they should know better.
Lesson learned....... You can't control other's actions only your reaction. Sometimes our reactions to a bad situation aren't always our best behavior. The best course of action is to apologize where needed and move on. Sometimes people don't understand your actions because they don't know the whole story. Try not to be quick to judge.
Lesson learned.... Friendship isn't conditional. True friends will stick with you no matter what. I have lost friends and made friends this year. I have had good friends stick with me in the face of adversity. I have decided some friends were worth keeping and others were not. Friendship shouldn't be conditional based on where your kids choose to participate in activities or go to school. Yes it makes it easier when you see these people all the time, but it isn't a condition of friendship. A lesson learned by me and my children. True friendship is a gift. I am blessed with some amazing friends.
Lesson learned: Behind that storm cloud is something new and wonderful. As the year draws to a close, I am content and happy. My kids have all landed on their feet and are thriving. I am happy and my stress level is low. I look forward to the new adventures of 2016. A new(ish) horse for Gabby that is both challenging and rewarding. A new dance company for Gillian that is challenging and rewarding. Status quo for the J man who is growing to be a compassionate and caring young man. My kids are meeting challenges; and while they don't always succeed, they are striving to and that will make them successful.
I wish you all a challenging and rewarding 2016. The best strides to success are often made after encountering diversity. I would like a slightly less crazy year, but I am ready to take whatever challenges I might find head on. I feel I have ended this year stronger than I started it. Thank you to all of you who stuck by me!
Happy New Year!
I like this one a lot!
ReplyDeleteI love you the most.
ReplyDelete