50 is just the beginning.

50 is just the beginning.

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Book Review Painted Girls




First book of the year finished..... Technically I started it last year, but I finished it this morning.    The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan was my first novel of the year.  

The basis of the novel is set around the paintings of Edgar Degas.  I picked up this book because I enjoy Degas' paintings of the dancers.   This novel follows three impoverished girls through their struggles to earn a living in the ballet in France.  In addition, it follows the story of unsolved murders during this time.

What struck me the most about this novel was the extreme poverty that these girls had to endure.  The direct juxtaposition between the poverty and the beauty of the paintings is what made this novel an unexpected pleasure.  I'm not sure of the validity of the story, but it was this direct difference that drew me in.  I would have assumed the ballet girls to be rich spoiled girls (maybe because I know how much I spend on dance for my daughter.)    These girls were anything but.  They scraped by and depended on "charity" of others.  The three sisters were well thought out characters each with  distinct personalities.  These characteristics reminded me of the differences in my own children which made the characters believable.

I also enjoyed the switch in perspective.  The story is alternately told by the two eldest sisters whose lives take very different paths.  This along with the occasional newspaper clipping thrown in to push forward the plot regarding the unsolved murders makes the novel a quick read.  The authors easy style and short chapters makes it a book you can easily pick up and put down without losing any of the content.

There is nothing I dislike more than a crappy ending.  Fortunately, you don't get it with this book.  The author neatly ties up loose ends with a bit of a flash forward.  Some might say too neatly, but I rather liked it.

While this book does not make my all time "must read" list, I would recommend it for anyone who is looking for a quick read with a historical perspective.  Please let me know if you end up reading it, and what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment