AF
Every generation has their slang words and catch phrases. For the most part, I think it is awesome. These phrases give each generation a sense of identity and belonging. If you are in middle school or high school..... makes you feel cool to use them. They make you feel like you belong, that you are part of something. We all used them as teenagers whether it was "groovy" or "for sure." No matter what your era, there is a phrase that you can identify with.
I have two teenage daughters and work in a high school setting. So I am privy to a lot of these new terms. I pride myself in learning what the catch phrases mean so I am not caught unawares when I hear them at home or in the hallways. For the most part I find them amusing and cute.
Currently there is an acronym among the teenage set that leaves me baffled. The term "AF" is both inappropriate and classless. For those of you who don't hang with the younger set, it is a descriptor that means "as fuck." So something can be cute af... or hot af.....or cool af... goals af. Why teenagers think it is appropriate to use is beyond me. Just because you have shortened it doesn't mean that we don't understand the meaning behind it.
My guess is that there are a lot of parents out there who 1) don't know what it means and/or 2) don't follow their children on social media so they aren't aware that their children are using this terminology. I think as parents we need to expand our children's vocabulary so that they don't feel the need to use such vulgar phrases/acronyms. The phrase itself doesn't make grammatical sense.
So I have already warned my children, if I catch you using this particular phrase..... you will be in trouble af, grounded af, and phoneless af.
Hope your day is Merry AF!!!!!!
Love af. Aligned af.
ReplyDeleteLove af. Aligned af.
ReplyDelete