50 is just the beginning.

50 is just the beginning.

Friday, January 22, 2016

What year is this?

I just paid $51 for a vinyl record for my daughter.   Yes, you read that correctly...VINYL.   I can't believe in the year 2016 when you can download songs electronically for less than $1.50 that I actually just paid that.   She used a gift card from Christmas....but still.  

This was not a vintage one of a kind record.  This was a pre-ordered soon to be released album.    I am stupefied at this.  Is there some kind of marketing executives out there trying to promote the idea that scratchy vinyl is better than the electronic versions that we get?   The sad part is that the only place she can listed to these vinyl records is in her room.  She can't take them in her car; she can't put it on her phone.   I just don't understand the draw.  I think it is marketing genius.  Market these deep emotional meaningful albums to the teenager because a vinyl record is more likely to touch your soul and give you "the feels."  FYI ... "the feels" is when you are overwrought with emotion... so get your mind out of the gutter.

She said it is a better sound...... REALLY?  I disagree.   We have made so many advances in music delivery that I can't believe that vinyl sounds better.  Wait til it scratches and starts skipping.  See how great that $50 vinyl sounds then.   Maybe she's a naturalist..... maybe it's a purer sound.  Or maybe it is that these new vinyl records come in cool colors.   The vinyl might have a cool retro feel, but I doubt it sounds better.

I am not a music buff.  I like to listen to music but I like the convenience of having it on my iPhone or iPod.   She is a music buff..... she plays an instrument, sings, and truly understands the levels of music.   I just think it's great if it has a good beat and you can dance to it ...lol

Maybe next I should dig out my old stereo with the 8 track player.  Let's face it, my husband is a pack rat, and it just might be somewhere in the basement.   I'm sure pretty soon that is going to be retro and cool.  Maybe Solid Gold will come back on TV... I always wanted to be a solid gold dancer.  

Coincidentally, this album I just purchased is from a band called The 1975.  We are sooo retro in this house :)

Yes, I know there is a parental advisory on this.  My daughter goes to public school.  I am sure she hears worse things in the hallway at school. 

1 comment:

  1. While I too probably could not hear the difference, I can believe that vinyl by definition sounds better. The reason being that vinyl is analog and can be cut exactly to the sound being recorded. Digital, by definition is an approximation of the waves that can be cut on vinyl so something, no matter how small, must be lost in the approximation. I doubt it is four times better but I can believe it is better.

    ReplyDelete