TBH......Another one of those fine teenage acronyms that means "to be honest." Teenagers all over the world are posting on social media: Like for a TBH. Once you like, you are at the mercy of your friend for a "totally" honest comment about you as a person. People who like these posts aren't really doing it for an honest assessment. They are looking for glorified pat on the back when their honest friend tells them how fabulous they are. I have accidentally "liked" a picture before reading the caption and been on the receiving end of a TBH twice. LOL! I was totally embarrassed as though I was fishing for compliments. It was kind of like posting a selfie. Clearly you aren't going to post a selfie that sets you up to be unattractive or ask for a TBH from someone who doesn't like you.
This use of social media teeters precariously on making our children victims to society's perception of "belonging." It is a dangerous tool. And while most of the TBH posts I have seen have been positive, it does support the idea of what others think of you is important. The reason most adults don't do TBH is that we don't need other to tell us who we are. Most of us are comfortable enough in our own skin to not care what others thing. Or maybe we don't want to look like we are fishing for compliments. Adults have become more devious in their search for affirmation: selfies and TBH's are just to obvious. We would rather stoop to vague Facebook posts that essentially get us the same response.
The urge to be accepted weighs on both sides... the person giving the honest statement and the person receiving the honest statement. The person in charge of giving the TBH has all the power. Yet giving a totally honest and maybe unsavory TBH might be as socially damaging as those receiving it. Which is why these things lack honesty. The positive point in all this is that we have trained our kids to say something nice or don't say anything at all. I think my point is not that I want kids to tear each other down but that I don't think they should be spending so much time seeking approval from social media.
I think I should do a TBH post for two reasons..... 1. I am extremely opinionated. 2. My TBH's would be honest and probably pretty entertaining.
Most likely I would post something nice but then something honest that might be seen as offensive. For example: a TBH I would write about myself (as not to offend anyone who hasn't asked for it)
TBH: You are a lot of fun to hang around with but your patience for stupidity is microscopic and you are horribly opinionated. Also, the fat cells that you use to push the wrinkles out and keep you looking youthful might be a little overwhelming... lay off the cookies.
Not sure I would be offended by what is completely true. But maybe someone would say something about me that I wasn't aware of.... would I be defensive or hurt? Might depend on who it is coming from.
Who would be secure enough to ask for a TBH? Who would still be my friend when it was said and done. Funny to contemplate, right.
TBH my friends are my friends for a reason. I accept them... the good, the bad and the ugly
My TBH would come from my very first blue box review:
ReplyDeleteIntolerant of the foibles of others. Demanding of self, sometimes to a fault. Dedicated and loyal. Never wavering in support of doing what is right.
I'll add other stuff if you want. And I'll lay off the cookies. Someday.