50 is just the beginning.
Monday, January 18, 2016
Book Review: Living Dead Girl
This book is with out a doubt disturbing. The story is told from the point of view of a young girl who was kidnapped and held captive for 5 years. At the age of 15 she gets "too old" for her captor and must find her replacement. It's a twisted story of emotional, physical and sexual abuse. There were many times that I wanted to put it down and walk away. But more than anything I wanted this little girl to escape. And while there is resolution at the end, it is a bit unclear as to what that resolution is.
This book was a quick read. The short chapters, the riveting story line, and the need for this little girl to be ok is what drove me through it. As a mom of 2 girls, I was haunted by how easy it was for the captor to take the girl and what lengths he took to keep her from leaving. I was also disturbed by the people around this pair who felt there was something not quite right, but did nothing about it.
If you are looking for an uplifting book, this is not it. But it is a story that is well told and thought provoking. It is one of those that is not likely to leave you for awhile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment