50 is just the beginning.

50 is just the beginning.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The 6th Extinction

The 6th Extinction
by Elizabeth Kolbert



In light of Leo's Oscar acceptance speech, my completion of this book could not be more timely.  I went out on a limb to read some non-fiction.   I wanted to expand my mind and read something I wouldn't normally read.   I am happy to report that this book did not disappoint me. 

I was worried that this subject matter would be dry, preachy, and way too scientific.   It was none of those things.  The basis of this book was extinction and whether or not we are on a path to another mass extinction.  The book is divided into chapters, and each one takes on another species that is in danger of extinction.  

The chapters are riddled with stories of the authors personal adventures in regards to her research.   This helps the subject matter from becoming boring.   I was happy to read about frogs, bats, mastodons, bats, and rhinos.   Each of the stories were leading to a greater message which helped me stay interested and see the bigger picture at the same time.  This format held my attention and propelled me forward.

I have always scoffed at the idea of global warming,  I mean..... I live in Chicago, and the last two winters have been beyond brutal.  But this book explained the ideas of global warming and ocean acidification in a way that was understandable to a non-scientist.   The author was brilliant in her use of stories and language.  Occasionally  the text got a little scientific, but it wasn't overwhelming.

When I picked this book up, I was a little concerned that it would get a little preachy about how humans are destroying the earth.   The author stated facts about the effects of humans on animals, resources and even prehistoric people.   She never once came across as sanctimonious.   She allowed me to form my own opinion and to see this idea of conservation and extinction in a whole new light.

An enlightening read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment