50 is just the beginning.

50 is just the beginning.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Seven

I have been without my mom for 7 years.  7 years seems like a magic number..... 7 years bad luck if you break a mirror.... the 7 year itch...........if you are friends with someone for 7 years you will be friends forever.   7 years seems like a magical time line, but for me it seems like forever ago and like yesterday all at the same time.

When I contemplate 7 years,  I realize that I have friends in my life that never knew my mom.   My youngest barely remembers her.   I think that is the hardest part for me.   That she never got to see my kids be amazing young adults. I know how proud she would be of all of them.

For those of you who were unfortunate enough to not know her... her personality was larger than life.   She loved big and had a kind heart.   But cross her, and she hated big as well.   If she liked you, she would do anything for you.   If she hated you, you best move to the other side of the street, leave town, etc.   When I look back on some of the stupidity I have had to deal with in the past year, I can think of a couple of people who should probably be thankful she wasn't here to witness (and react to) the crazy.  She forgave rarely.

I know what you are thinking.... yes, I see a lot of my mother in my own personality.  She was a lot like me...magnified by 100..... She was a crazy, fun mother... but super strict at the same time.   We got away with nothing.  Didn't help that our neighbor had a police scanner (had to love Grandma Wally.)  I don't think I am as strict as she was... but I think my kids are better than we were as kids.  She was passionate and competitive about her sports.   I  like to win as much as the next person, but I DO NOT share her court side manner (which is a good thing in this day and age.)  I think there is as much to learn from losing as there is winning.

She loved to go to the grocery store (which everyone knows I hate.)  But she did it because it was social.   I think going to Markettis was the equivalent of meeting a friend for coffee.   She was social and a planner... that is me through and through.  I love to be surrounded by fun people, and I love to plan events.  There is never too small of an excuse for a party/get together.   I think this is one thing about me that drives my husband nuts... as he is less social than I am.   Like my mother but probably to a lessor degree, I do like to cause a little harmless mischief.    I have never, however, been thrown out of any restaurant.

Like my mom, I have a lot of acquaintances and a few really close friends that I would do anything for.   My mom's friends are as crazy as she is.  My kids refer to them as "The Crazy Ladies"  They helped each other through everything, graduations, weddings, baby showers, etc.   They had other names for their group that probably shouldn't be mentioned in a public forum.  LOL  While I don't have a large family, I grew up with a spectacular group of "Aunts."

Like her, I am not afraid to stand up for what I believe in.   I believe that I get a lot of my strength from her.  As a child I was shy and awkward and wouldn't speak to anyone.  I clearly got past that.  I think my mom described me as "a drip"  That just cracks me up when I think about it.  My kids must have learned these lessons early.  None of them really have a problem speaking up or sticking up for themselves.   I have been thinking about mom a lot this past year with some of the people I have had to deal with, and I am thankful for these lessons that she has taught me.  I don't particularly like confrontation, but I am not afraid to stand up for what is right.  I know she would have stood by me and might have offered advice that would have been less than savory.   LOL  Her idea of revenge (which she firmly believed in) was to sit back and let karma do it's job. 

If you knew her, you either loved her or hated her... there was no halfway.   There are so many great stories about her... some of which should NEVER be repeated.   I think of all my kids, my middle daughter will probably carry on most of these personality traits.   But there is a little bit of Betha in both of my daughters.  So maybe you should take a little pity on my husband and son as they have to deal with three strong and slightly crazy women. 






1 comment:

  1. This warmed and broke my heart at once.

    I am so fortunate to have had the chance to meet your mother. I remember her being as serious as I could ever imagine her being when she thanked me for believing in you and getting you away from that "hellhole of a dead-end job." (Not recalling her exact words outside of "hellhole" and how she worried it was, indeed, dead-end).

    Channel your inner-Betha and proceed with courage, knowing she may have her finger on one of those "karma" buttons. Now wouldn't that just be a joy to witness... ❤️

    ReplyDelete